Want to Run for Office? Your Republican Party in Montgomery County is here to help, contact us at email@example.com
Candidacy Forms from the Maryland Board of Elections:
- Candidate Information Sheet (PDF) - Updated January 2017
- Affidavit for use of Alternate Name (PDF)
- Certificate of Nomination or Designation (PDF)
- Statement of Organization (PDF)
- Where to register a Candidate Committee w/ the Maryland Board of Elections: https://campaignfinancemd.us/Public/CandidateHelp
- Summary Guide: Maryland Candidacy & Campaign Finance Laws: http://www.elections.state.md.us/campaign_finance/documents/Summary_Guide_2017_final.pdf
- IRS Tax Filing information for candidates and political organizations: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/political-organizations
- Important 2018 election-related dates and deadlines from the Maryland Board of Election: http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2018/2018_Election_Calendar.pdf
How to secure public campaign funds for Montgomery County Office?
- Background — 2018 will be the first election cycle that Montgomery County will provide public election funds (PEF) to qualifying candidates for the County Executive and County Council seats. Currently, $6 million in funding is available to qualifying candidates and up to $10 million following County Council action in the 2017 budget cycle.
How Do I Qualify?
- Candidates seeking to qualify for matching PEF funds must agree to comply with all the PEF campaign contribution limitations: including NOT taking any campaign contribution over $150.00 and NOT taking any contributions from a political action committee (PAC), corporation, political party, or union. There are of course many other rules related to the program, but these campaign limitations are key to qualifying to participate.
- To qualify for PEF matching funds, candidates must be in a contested race. Then, candidates must raise a minimum number of individual contributions from MoCo residents as well as raise an aggregate total just to qualify. Those minimum qualification thresholds and maximum payouts are noted below:
CountyExecutive: 500/$40,000 to qualify and up to* $750K for the Primary and another $750K for the General
At Large Council seat: 250/$20,000 and up to* $250K for the Primary and another $250K for the General
District Council seat: 135/$10,000 and up to*$125K for the Primary and another $125K for the General
- Keep in mind, in order to reach these max pay out amounts, a PEF candidate must raise much more than the minimum threshold amounts (noted above). For further information on the MoCo PEF program see information at these links:
Information and background on the MoCo PEF law:
- Answers to many other questions are at the FAQs and a time line at this link: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/BONDS/Resources/Files/Public_Election_Fund_FAQ.pdf
- To file as a PEF Candidate start here :
- To see who has filed, you’ll have to search the MD Campaign Reporting System (CRIS) check here and select Public Finance Committee under the “Committee Type” tab: